National infertility week is observed from April 21st to April 27th of this year with the goal to raise awareness about infertility and help people successfully cope with this condition. Here are some signs of infertility in women and men to watch out for:
Signs of infertility in women:
- Irregular periods: The average menstrual cycle is 28 days. Variation by a couple ofdays (more or less) may be also considered normal as long as the cycles remain consistent. If the cycles vary to such an extent that a woman cannot predict her next period, she may be having hormonal problems that could affect fertility.
- Heavy periods: Extreme pain, bleeding, and cramping with periods could be a signof endometriosis, a condition that is known to cause infertility.
- No periods: While missing a period once in a while may be attributed to factors likestress or strenuous workouts, if you have not had a period for a couple of months, you should have a checkup to assess your reproductive health.
- Pain during intercourse: Pain during sex could be caused by hormonal issues,endometriosis, or other underlying problems that may affect fertility.
- Hormone fluctuations: Unexplained weight gain, growth of facial hair or thinningof hair, skin issues, and a reduced sex drive may be the result of hormonal fluctuations that could also contribute to infertility.
Signs of infertility in men:
Among men, infertility could be due to medical reasons such as hormone fluctuations, infection, varicocele formation, tumors, birth defects, and environmental factors such as exposure to toxic chemicals, elevated temperatures, and radiation. Characteristic signs of infertility include:
- Lack of sexual desire
- Inability to achieve and maintain an erection
- Problems with ejaculation
- Testicular pain or swelling
- Small and firm testicles
According to research studies about 15-20% of couples trying to conceive will have infertility-related problems. If you suspect that you may have trouble conceiving, make an appointment with a fertility specialist as soon as possible for a full evaluation and discussion on possible fertility treatment options.
ReproMed Fertility Center offers personalized fertility treatments at four convenient locations in the Dallas metroplex, and also in Tyler, Texas. Please contact us at (214) 827-8777 for all appointments and information.